It’s Your Choice
Your Choice is a music industry supported campaign initiated to address the growing cultural issues around behavior and lack of personal accountability within Australian venues and event spaces. These issues are not exclusive to the music industry, they’re prevalent within our society. However, as a community of festival promoters, venue owners, artists, promoters and managers we are banding together under the Your Choice banner to create change. The goal of Your Choice is to help influence a culture of positive behaviour through shared responsibility – as industry organisers and the patrons attending. We believe:
- Everyone has the right to a good time, without the actions of the minority coming at personal and/or public expense
- Both organisers and patrons share responsibility in creating the safest and most enjoyable experience
- Our culture today demands a preventative conversation, not a reactive one. We want to start by focusing attention and growing awareness on what is acceptable and expected behaviour, not just telling people to be wary and vigilant
- We all have a responsibility to encourage people to think harder about the impact their choices have on the wider community and we need to be vocal, calling it out when we see it
- Efforts are required today to ensure our industry is protected and can continue to nurture the ideas of young cultural entrepreneurs and give young artists a space to develop and grow
Welcome to our home, like any legendary share house we have some rules…
- Look after our place like you would your own.
- You don’t have the right to touch someone without their permission, respect their personal space.
- No means no.
- If you or someone else needs help, call us to assist – we’re all here for you.
- Be a do-er, not a me too-er, if someone’s doing something dodge, call them out, report it.
- Throw a party, not a projectile.
- Respect our neighbourhood, this is our home and we’re here to stay.
- We’re rolling out the welcome mat, it’s important we all feel comfortable, everyone is welcome here.
- Tom Waits in line, so should you.
- Radiate sass, not crass.
- Take responsibility, there are no pass-outs on bad behaviour.
- Rhianna attitude with Drake feelings; think before you act.
- Choose your own adventure, don’t ruin the festivus for the rest of us.